Episode 64 – Dealing With Your Tenants with Howard Tavroges
Gary welcomed Howard Tavroges, a paralegal who has represented both tenants and landlords at the Ontario Tenant Review board, but now exclusively represents landlords.
Tenants are not paying rent, banding together for support. Since these are difficult times, Gary picked Howard’s brain about the legality of this current situation, and how landlords should proceed. Landlords aren’t powerless, however there must be a process followed to ensure a happy and legal outcome.
What you’ll learn
- Why tenants are banding together to defer rent
- Has the tenant been proactive to propose a rent solution
- Is the tenant using the pandemic as a ploy, or having genuine trouble paying?
- Should landlords issue an N4
- Should landlords then file an L1
- What suggestions Howard has for landlords during this time with COVID 19
- What about vacant possession – What if a seller has sold their home with a tenant and the buyer is going to occupy the home
- Howard’s suggestions about collecting rent
- Can you use the last month’s rent to fill in the gaps
- Is it wise to accept credit cards or Square payments
- There is an incredible backlog at the LTB, what is happening about scheduling these hearings.
- The LTB website have posted about possibly having telephone hearings, what does Howard think
- Howard’s suggestions to expedite the eviction process
- How long he thinks it will take for a landlord to be able to get a hearing
- What is the landlord’s obligations as far as maintenance during this time
- Prior to COVID 19, did you see any changes/improvements with the LTB process?
- And MORE!
I only represent Landlords. That’s all I do. Nothing else. Having been on the other side, I am in a very advantageous and unique position in being able to assist landlords with any problems they might be experiencing with their tenants.
My philosophy is to provide all of my clients with superior, high quality and cost-effective legal representation. I have an exemplary reputation for diligence, preparedness and a comprehensive knowledge of The Residential Tenancies Act.
Email: [email protected]
Credit card payments: www.getdigs.io